Your LibDem candidates on May 7th are:
Bury St Edmunds David Chappell http://davidchappell.org.uk/en/
Ipswich Chika Akinwale http://www.libdems.org.uk/chika_akinwale
Central Suffolk& North Ipswich Jon Neal http://www.libdems.org.uk/jon-neal
South Suffolk Grace Weaver http://www.libdems.org.uk/grace_weaver
Suffolk Coastal James Sandbach http://www.james4suffolkcoastal.com/
Waveney Stephen Gordon http://www.libdems.org.uk/stephen_gordon
West Suffolk Elfeda Tealby-Watson http://www.libdems.org.uk/elfreda_tealby_watson
A few things to remember when you cast your vote on Thursday:
In 2010 the Labour government left a mountain of debt for the nation. Liberal Democrats shouldered unpopularity to take the responsible step of forming a stable coalition government. In the last 5 years 2 million new apprenticeships and 2 million new jobs have been created and Labour’s deficit has been halved.
The following initiatives were in the LibDem 2010 Manifesto and would not have happened without us:
- Tax cuts: Low and middle income earners have had a tax cut of nearly £1,000 a year. Because we raised the income tax threshold – as we promised (though David Cameron said it was impossible) people who earn £10,500 a year of less pay no income tax at all. We want to raise this threshold to £12,500.
- Education: We have invested in education, targeting funding at the most deprived children. This has meant an extra £60m for Suffolk schools. It is making a real difference to literacy and numeracy and has provided, for example, one-to-one tuition, breakfast and after-school clubs. In addition we have given free school meals to 5-to-7 year olds.
- Health: We have provided additional funding for health and introduced the first ever mental health waiting time standards. We will invest an extra £8bn a year in the NHS each year by 2020. We are the only party to promise this and say how it will be funded.
- Renewable energy and environment: We have trebled the amount of energy generated from renewables. We will introduce 5 green laws including protection for bees and pollinators.
- We have cracked down on tax dodgers – getting £9bn tax back through deals with Switzerland, Liechenstein and the Channel Islands. We have also prosecuted 10 times more people for tax crimes than happened under the last government.
Some endorsements in the national press:
The Times “Nick Clegg made a bold decision to take the Liberal Democrats into government. Power has been a justified gamble for the Liberal Democrats…Their signature policy of taking people who earn £10,000 or less out of taxation altogether has been one of their successes.” http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/leaders/article4430579.ece
Independent “Many of the good things the Coalition has done are owed to the Liberal Democrats. Nick Clegg may not personally recover from the tuition fees debacle, despite being right (eventually). But history will record him as the man who turned a party of protest into one of government. http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/in-defence-of-liberal-democracy-10224221.html
Sunday Times “…[the Coalition] did survive and this has been a period of political stability that would have been the envy of many majority governments of the past. Mr Clegg deserves to survive and so do his closest Lib Dem colleagues in government. Tory supporters in Labour-Lib Dem marginals may wish to vote for the Lib Dem candidate… http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/comment/article1551497.ece
Published and promoted by E. Da Costa on behalf of the Liberal Democrats all at 16 Two Acres, Capel St. Mary, Ipswich IP9 2EE